Connecticut has seen COVID-19 hospitalizations rise past 800 for the first time since May.
Connecticut reported more 2,042 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, pushing the state’s tally to 97,028 since March.
Gov. Ned Lamont’s office reported that COVID-19 hospitalizations rose by 39 cases, bringing the total number of coronavirus patients in the state’s hospitals to 816. That is up from a low of 42 people hospitalized on Aug. 16 and more than at any time since May 20. It’s an increase of 476 patients this month alone.
Lamont’s office also recorded 13 additional coronavirus-related deaths, which brought Connecticut’s total to 4,784.
Connecticut’s seven-day rolling average positivity rate has risen over the past two weeks from 3.55% on Nov. 3 to 5.35% on Tuesday.
On Monday, the the governor predicted Connecticut would hit 100,000 total coronavirus cases by the end of the week.
A member of Lamont’s security detail and the commissioner of Connecticut’s Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services have both tested positive for the virus.
Commissioner Miriam Delphin-Rittmon said in a statement Tuesday night that her symptoms are mild and she is quarantining at home.
Lamont’s chief of staff, Paul Mounds, said the member of the security team received the positive test result on Wednesday and immediately went into isolation.
Lamont has been in quarantine at home since his communications director, Max Reiss, tested positive for the virus last week.
Mounds said that there have been not other positive tests among senior staff, who are expected to be tested again on Thursday.
A 45-year-old man who had been imprisoned at the Osborn Correctional Institution died on Wednesday from complications related to the coronavirus.
The state Department of Correction said the prisoner, whose name wasn’t released, had been hospitalized since Oct. 15.
The man was serving a three-year sentence for burglary and strangulation and would have been eligible for parole next May.
The death is the eighth linked to the coronavirus in the prison system, but the first since May 26.
“This is a sobering reminder that we cannot let our guard down when it comes to the coronavirus. We will continue to take the necessary precautions to limit its spread within our facilities,” said Commissioner Designate Angel Quiros. “My condolences go out to his family and loved ones.”