banner banner banner banner banner banner
Local News
Subscribe To This Feed
Several Danbury residents have called City Hall asking about possible reimbursement from FEMA for damage done to homes and property by the May 15th storm. There are now forms located on the City's website for individual homeowners, those in apartments and businesses to fill out with damage assessments.  The forms must be submitted by May 29th for the to consider requests.  Once deemed eligible, individuals will be able to apply directly to FEMA.  There is no guarantee for Federal Funding at this time.  This is a step the City of Danbury must take to apply for federal funding.
 

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
Bethel will accept residential storm damage brush at the transfer station at no charge through June 2nd. All drop offs must have ID to verify residency. 
 
New Milford Mayor Pete Bass says they are waving the open burning permit fee for several months due to the storm, and debris left because of the storm.  The fee will be waved until September 4th.  Residents do still need to file an application for the permit.  The application can be found on the New Milford town website.  Any questions about open burning should be directed to the Fire Marshall's office.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
Due to the uprooting or falling of many trees and tree limbs, combined with flooding from the storm, there is a concern about damage to septic systems.  They are magnified with the potential for vehicular traffic over septic systems for clean up.  The Brookfield Health Department says tree clean-up and removal workers should be well-informed of the locations of septic tanks, septic pump chambers and septic leaching fields before driving across properties.  Residents should take some time to inspect the areas where their septic tanks, pump chambers and leaching fields are buried on their properties to look for signs of bleed-out such as soft wet patches and odor, especially following laundry and showering. 

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

A man previously banned from all locations of a craft store chain has been arrested by New York State Police for allegedly stealing merchandise from their Southeast location.  Police began an investigation into 55-year old Dennis Eisenberg in April for the alleged theft from Michaels. 

 

Troopers determined that the Bronx man was the subject of a cease and desist order banning him from all Michaels stores because of previous larceny arrests.  Eisenberg allegedly unlawfully entered the Southeast store and stole over $2,000 worth of merchandise. 

 

He was charged with felony burglary and larceny on Monday.  Eisenberg was arraigned and ordered held on bail for a court appearance on June 12th.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
A former Redding man was sentenced yesterday on sex assault charges.  Stephen Overby accepted a plea deal that calls for a 30-year prison sentence, suspended after 18 years.  As part of the investigation, former Region 9 Board of Education member Sara Sobel was charged for risk of injury, promoting a minor in an obscene performance and conspiracy to commit sexual assault. 
 
She and her husband were charged last spring for not complying with a state agency investigation into sexual assault allegations against Overby, a friend who lived in their home.  Sobel declined a plea deal last month. 
 
The Newstimes reports that Overby has granted her power of attorney over his affairs while he is in prison. Overby was arrested in 1995 for abusing his daughter, but served no prison time and failed to register as a sex offender.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is facing another defamation lawsuit by families of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre for claiming the shooting was a hoax.

Relatives of six of the 26 victims and an FBI agent who responded to the school sued Jones in Bridgeport Superior Court in Connecticut on Wednesday. The families of two other victims filed similar lawsuits last month in Travis County, Texas, where Jones' company, Infowars, is based.  The families say Jones' comments have tormented them and subjected them to harassment and death threats.
 

The suit filed Wednesday also names the financial network that supports him, as well as Wolfgang Halbig.  The Florida man has repeatedly promoted the false claim that David Wheeler and FBI agent William Aldenberg are the same person, and that that person is a so-called “crisis actor.” 
 
The plaintiffs are the parents of four children killed at Sandy Hook — Jacqueline and Mark Barden, parents of Daniel; Nicole and Ian Hockley, parents of Dylan; Francine and David Wheeler, parents of Ben; and Jennifer Hensel and Jeremy Richman, parents of Avielle – as well as Donna Soto, Carlee Soto-Parisi, Carlos M. Soto and Jillian Soto, the mother and three siblings (respectively) of first-grade teacher Victoria Leigh Soto and Erica Lafferty-Garbatini, the daughter of Sandy Hook Elementary School Principal Dawn Hochsprung. William Aldenberg, an FBI agent and first responder to the scene, is also a plaintiff.
 
Jones has frequently promoted the theories of Halbig, who founded a now-defunct defamatory website.  Through that site and his social media channels, he regularly questions whether the Sandy Hook massacre actually took place and, more recently, has also begun to question whether the Pulse nightclub and Parkland shootings took place. He frequently solicits donations to help fund his efforts.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

About 70 Eversource customers in New Fairfield remain without power as of 6am Wednesday morning.  55 of those outages are on Candlewood Isle, one of the hardest hit neighborhoods. 

 

The emergency shelter at New Fairfield High School will be open from 4:30pm until 7:45  for showers, but it will not serve meals.  The Senior Center is open 9am to 4pm, and will also not be serving meals. 

 

New Fairfield has started collecting damage assessment for submission to FEMA. To qualify for reimbursement, documentation of at least 3 million dollars in damage town wide must be submitted.  New Fairfield employees will be assessing damage throughout town, but residents are also asked to send photos and copies of repair estimates, including for tree removal. 

 

Information can be sent to nfstormdamage@newfairfield.org and include name, address, phone number, if the home is accessible, the cause of damage (tree,flooding, wind, etc), insurance and a detailed description of damage.

 

In order to substantiate claims, Brookfield officials are asking residential and businesses property owners to submit pictures of damage to any structure, along with the address pictured, and a description of the extent of damage sustained. All submissions should be sent to storm2018@brookfieldct.gov.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Newtown First Selectman Dan Rosenthal says a dozen homes have been condemned due to damage from last week’s storm.  10 homes in the Lakeview Terrace area were condemned, along with two in the Lake Zoar area.  Rosenthal says some of them may be reconstructed. 

 

 

In Newtown, a number of electric transformers were damaged.  In the case of transformer fluid leaks, Eversource is using environmental crews to clean up appropriately.  First Selectman Dan Rosenthal says some properties were spared, others were devastated and some are somewhere in between.  There are just scattered outages remaining a full week after the macroburst and tornadoes tore through the Greater Danbury area. 

 

As residents move forward to get their lives back on track, he is offering some useful municipal service reminders.  The Building Department can address structural questions, Newtown Social Services can discuss food, utility, home supplies and connection to other support services.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection has received a few calls from residents about potential scams as they've looked to make repairs to their homes after storms.  The agency is encouraging consumers to be on the lookout for so-called “storm chasers” who prey on families after weather emergencies because they know they need repairs done quickly. 
 
Spokeswoman Laura Rae Anderson says some contractors take advantage of a situation that’s already stressful for families by offering to do home repairs at low cost, and not following through.
 
Consumers should always do their research before deciding who should do repairs on their home. All home improvement contractors are required to be registered with the Department of Consumer Protection.  Their registration numbers can be verified online at elicense.ct.gov.  Registration numbers need to be on all promotional material, including business cards.  But Anderson caution that someone could put a number on anything, and if you don't verify that it's real you still don't know for sure if the contractor is legitimate. 
 
When in doubt, Anderson says if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  Consumers should not give in to pressure tactics, forego a contract, pay in cash, or pay in full up front.
 
Brookfield officials have received several reports of door-to-door solicitation offering tree services, often at extremely inflated prices. Residents are reminded to be wary of people trying to use the disaster as a means to profit.  In order to offer services, a business is required to first visit Town Hall and submit their identification to apply for a solicitation permit.  If someone comes to your door, and cannot or will not show that permit, report them to Brookfield Police using the non-emergency line at 203-775-2575.
 
The Brookfield Office of Emergency Management is cautioning people to be aware of a post-storm scam.  Some people are claiming to be Eversource representatives, offering discounts.  If you receive a call from someone purportedly from the utility, do not give out account information and do not provide any form of payment.  Residents are also urged to be leery about people showing up, going door to door, offering tree services, pest control services or any other service. 

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
Brookfield schools are open for the first time in a week.  Some alternative bus stops and bus routes have been set up for the rest of the week.  Friday will still be an early dismissal day in Brookfield for a professional development program. 
 
The Superintendent's Office says students not attending school due to uninhabitable homes or major road accessibility issues will be excused from school. 
 
Any parent concerned with the bus stop change and driving their child to school are asked to use caution and leave extra time for drop off.  School officials are encouraging carpooling to cut down on expected increased traffic volume. There will be a police presence at each Brookfield school during drop off and pick up to help alleviate traffic issues. 

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

A Waterbury man suspected of drug sales in Danbury tossed crack cocaine as police closed in on him.  An investigation was started months ago into Aairon Thompson over activity consistent with drug trafficking.  Search warrants were issued earlier this month.  Police tried to carry out the warrant, but Thompson recklessly sped away.   

 

Investigators saw the 34-year old make a drug sale to a known drug user, who was stopped minutes later. The other person then dropped three pieces of crack cocaine and $50 from the sale. 

 

Thompson was taken into custody yesterday at Action Auto Rentals on Newtown Road, where he worked.  He tossed drugs to the ground and was placed under arrest.  Thompson was charged with Possession and sale of a controlled substance, possession and sale within 1,500 feet of a school and reckless driving.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

A Danbury man has been arrested for possession of child pornography.  Danbury Police received a complaint in August about 49-year old Steven Randi.  The Special Victims Unit investigated and obtained an arrest warrant for Randi.  He turned himself in to Danbury Police on Thursday.  Randi was released on 100-thousand dollars bond for a court appearance, which is scheduled for tomorrow.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
In order for Brookfield and its residents to be eligible for FEMA funding, the Town, the State and President all must all declare Connecticut a disaster zone. The Town and the State have already made those declarations. 
 
In order to substantiate claims, Brookfield officials are asking residential and businesses property owners to submit pictures of damage to any structure, along with the address pictured, and a description of the extent of damage sustained. All submissions should be sent to storm2018@brookfieldct.gov.
 
Brookfield Building Department officials are currently going to the heavily affected areas assessing structural damages. Having entered recovery mode, many residents are hiring contractors. Eversource has engaged with some electrical contractors to assist with repairing the damage to electric service entrance cable and meter box on houses.  Residents should ask for identification.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

A 38-year old man has been arrested after he refused to leave a home for 14 hours.  Troopers received a call shortly before 2 am Monday about a domestic violence incident in a Purchase Brook Road home from people who were in the house.  Joseph Michael Stotz eventually came out of the house, ending the standoff.  He hit a trooper while being arrested, but the officer was uninjured.  Stotz was evaluated at Waterbury Hospital and released.  He was charged with disorderly conduct, interfering with an officer and assault on an officer.  Stotz was held on $100,000 bond for arraignment today.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
Due to the uncertainty of road conditions, the need for more tree line work, and at the request of Brookfield's Emergency Management Team, the Memorial Day Parade has been cancelled.  A Memorial event will be held at Williams Park as scheduled and the Library will be open and hosting family related events on its Lawn. The parade will be rescheduled at a time to be determined.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

State Representative Will Duff has been endorsed by the Republican party to run for reelection in the 2nd state House District, of Bethel, Danbury, Redding and Newtown.  The freshman lawmaker's first bill was to eliminate the state income tax on Social Security and pensions, which was included in the bipartisan budget.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

A New Milford man is looking to challenge a freshman lawmaker for the 67th state House seat.  Democrat Tom O'Brien is seeking fill the role currently held by Republican Bill Buckbee.  O’Brien chaired the bike and trails committee and was influential in establishing the New Milford River Trail along the Housatonic River.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
Brookfield, Danbury and New Fairfield continue to have several hundred residents without power from the severe weather that hit a week ago.  Scattered outages remain in the rest of the Greater Danbury area.  Eversource spokesman Mitch Gross says the rebuilding of the system continues.  But he says one of the delays is the extensive damage to homes and businesses.  Gross says it's unsafe for utility workers to make repairs until towns inspects those structures and gives the OK.  Eversource spokesman Mitch Gross says they're resetting 300 miles of wire.  It's the distance from Hartford to Washington D.C., if you unroll the wire and lay it out.
 
One of the areas of New Fairfield hit hardest by last week's severe storm is Candlewood Isle.  Residents there are not expected to  have power back until Thursday.  The emergency shelter at New Fairfield High School will be open again today, 8:30am to 8pm, with three meals available.  Showers and bathrooms are available all day.  
 
Today is the last day dumpsters will be available in Newtown for residents to dispose of spoiled food.  Due to schools being in session, the dumpster at Newtown High School will be moved to Sandy Hook Fire House for today.  
 
Brookfield Police are reminding people that any down wires that were dead days following the storm, may become re-energized during repair efforts. Now, is the time to be extra safe and avoid downed wires.  The Still River Greenway in Brookfield is closed and should not be used until crews can enter, clear the path and evaluate trees along the trail for safety.  The last day of school in Brookfield is now scheduled for June 29th. The Superintendent is requesting a onetime waiver from the state Department of Education excluding Brookfield from the 180 day requirement.  
 
Squantz Pond State Park has reopened.  Sleeping Giant and Wharton Brook will remain closed indefinitely.  A determination will be made today about whether Kettletown State Park can open for the Memorial Day weekend.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
The Bethel Highway Department will be going around town over the next several weeks to clean up storm debris from the side of roads.  First Selectman Matt Knickerbocker says in the aftermath of the storm, crews just cut trees and pushed them to the side.  They did this in an effort to get as many roads reopened as quickly as possible.  The Highway Department and tree care contractor will pick up debris and branches that they cleared.  But Knickerbocker asked for patience as there is more than 80 miles of road in Bethel to be cleared.  
 
As for the overall cost of the storm, he estimates between $10,000 to $30,000 to cover overtime work and outside contractors.  Bethel did not take the brunt of the storm and had to spend less than neighboring towns, like Brookfield and Newtown.
 
Newtown will pick up trees and brush that has fallen on the shoulder of the road, but First Selectman Dan Rosenthal asked residents not to drag brush from personal property to the roadside.  He says restoration efforts are paramount and accumulating brush on the side of the road will effect workers and potentially impact school buses. Brush, up to 3-inches in diameter, may be disposed of for free at the Newtown Transfer Station.  There is a $10 per cubic yard fee for anything in excess.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed
The Brookfield Board of Finance has revised the proposed budget down to $67 million.  The plan calls for $42.9 million for the town and $24.1 million for the schools.  It raises taxes by 4.65 percent, about one percent lower than the first proposal.  The second budget referendum in Brookfield will be held on the 29th.  Unexpected state aid and a stipend for the fire department make up for much of the cut.  The Board of Finance decided to start with small cuts because of the limited ballots cast between 5pm and 8pm due to the storm a week ago.
 
The New Milford Town Council has revised the proposed budget down after it failed during a referendum, which continued despite the severe storm.  The combined $101.5 million proposal would raise taxes 2.6 percent.  The original proposal would have hiked taxes by 3.87-percent.  Less money would be used from the undesignated fund in the new proposal.  The state is also granting more aid to the town than anticipated.  The second budget referendum in New Milford will be held on June 5th.

0
comments



On Air Now
Half Off Deals

Weather
Facebook

Local News