GREENWICH, Conn. (AP) The lawyer for a former teacher at a prestigious Connecticut private school accused of sexually abusing several students decades ago says his client denies the allegations.
The current headmaster of Greenwich Country Day School told families and faculty last week that Peter French was one of two former teachers an independent investigation determined sexually abused students. The other teacher has died.
French worked at the school from 1961 until 1999.
The 83-year-old French resigned this month from his job as a children's golf instructor at Waubeeka Golf Links in Williamstown, Massachusetts.
Mark Sherman, French's lawyer, said in a statement his client ``denies the allegations'' and was not given ``a full and fair opportunity to defend himself.''
French won't be prosecuted because the statute of limitations has expired.
TRUMBULL, Conn. (AP) A Connecticut town has agreed to pay a settlement to the family of a woman with Down syndrome who was left behind when her educational group went on a field trip.
The Connecticut Post reports the 20-year-old woman was part of a school-run group for young adults with special needs in Trumbull. Her family's attorney says she was in the bathroom when the rest of the group left for the trip to a local YMCA in May 2016.
Police officers found her about two hours later, wandering more than a mile from where she had been left.
The amount of the settlement was not disclosed, but the family had earlier offered to settle for $125,000. Lawyers for the town and the school board did not respond to requests for comment.
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (AP) A woman who falsely claimed to be from Connecticut in order to collect more than $39,000 in unemployment compensation has been sentenced to 18 months in prison.
Prosecutors say 38-year-old Yveline Louissaint falsely claimed to be a U.S. citizen while collecting unemployment compensation benefits. The Day reports she was sentenced Thursday in New Britain to 18 months in prison for fraudulently collecting unemployment and for failing to appear in court for initial sentencing.
Louissaint was scheduled to be sentenced in 2015, but failed to appear in court and was rearrested in 2017.
Louissaint's arrests and convictions were the result of an investigation by the Unemployment Compensation Fraud Unit in the Office of the Chief State's Attorney.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Attorney General George Jepsen is warning Connecticut officials not to assume a planned tribal casino in East Windsor can open without formal federal approvals.
In a legal opinion released Tuesday, Jepsen says legislation passed last year by the General Assembly still requires the U.S. Department of Interior to approve proposed amendments to the revenue-sharing agreement between the state and the Mashantucket Pequot and Mohegan tribes before their new border casino can open.
With no federal approvals yet, the state and tribes have filed a lawsuit, claiming the amendments were ``deemed approved'' under federal Indian gambling laws.
Jepsen says making that assumption and allowing the casino to open could risk the underlying revenue-sharing deal, which grants Connecticut 25 percent of the slot machine revenues generated at the tribes' two existing casinos.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Police in Connecticut say a 15-year-old has been arrested for stealing a car for the fifth time in a year.
The Hartford Courant reports the boy was arrested in Hartford on Tuesday after he was spotted driving a car that was reported stolen in Manchester.
Investigators say the teen is suspected in five thefts since last April. In each case, the cars were left open with the keys inside.
The teen's name was not released because he is a juvenile.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A judge has ruled that a former Connecticut insurance broker convicted of swindling millions of dollars from several elderly clients won't have to repay the money as originally ordered.
Galan Newton was sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2001 and ordered to repay $3.2 million to his victims and insurance companies.
The Hartford Courant reports that the now 65-year-old Newton was released from probation Tuesday after a judge found that there was no way for him to repay the $2.3 million he still owed.
Newton's lawyer told the judge his client works low-paying jobs and will never be able to repay the money.
Prosecutors say all of Newton's victims have died the insurance companies he owed no longer exist because they have been swallowed up in mergers.
WALLINGFORD, Conn. (AP) - Two men were arrested on drug charges Friday when Wallingford police witnessed a drug transaction on South Main Street.
The New Haven Register reports Tyrell Ford and Denis Williams of West Haven were arrested after fleeing the scene and crashing into three vehicles. Attorneys for both could not be immediately identified.
Police say they found six grams of heroin and four grams of crack in Ford's Toyota Camry. Ford is being held on $100,000 bail for multiple charges, including possession of narcotics with intent to sell and assault on a police officer. Williams is being held on $75,000 bail and is charged with conspiracy to commit possession of narcotics with intent to sell and other charges.
Both men will be in court on April 25 in Meriden.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Some gubernatorial candidates and elected officials are expected to voice support for a citizens group suing the state of Connecticut over plans to build a new $1.1 billion bridge over the Norwalk River.
Members of the organization Norwalk Harbor Keeper filed suit two months ago in federal court against the Department of Transportation. They're seeking to invalidate the state's plan to replace the 120-year-old Walk Bridge with a new lift railroad bridge until alternatives are evaluated. The moveable Walk Bridge carries approximately 200 trains daily. It has experienced failures, creating bottlenecks along the rail line.
The citizens group claims the project is too costly and disruptive, arguing other alternatives should be considered. DOT says a new moveable bridge is the only answer.
A news conference is planned Monday in Hartford.
WINDSOR, Conn. (AP) A driver has died after being hit by a passing car while refueling his vehicle on the shoulder of an interstate off-ramp in Connecticut.
State police say 36-year-old Timothy Sanderson was hit early Saturday while putting gas in his vehicle, which was parked in the right shoulder of an Interstate 91 off-ramp in Windsor. He died at the scene.
Police say the vehicle that hit him pulled over onto the shoulder after the collision. The driver of that vehicle was not injured.
Police continue to investigate the crash. No charges have been announced.
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) A Connecticut man injured when the vehicle he was in crashed with a truck carrying portable toilets has been awarded $82,000 in a lawsuit.
The Connecticut Post reports that 52-year-old Randall Ryan, of Bridgeport, said in the suit he suffered physical and emotional injuries in the September 2016 crash and is unable to perform activities of daily living.
Ryan was a front-seat passenger in a truck that collided with a truck owned by a portable toilet rental company.
Ryan suffered a broken nose and injuries to his head, neck, ribs, shoulder and back.
He sued both drivers involved in the crash, claiming negligence and carelessness.
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) A Connecticut man has pleaded guilty to hacking into the iCloud accounts of Hollywood stars and others so he could steal personal information, including private photographs and videos.
Federal prosecutors say 26-year-old George Garofano, of North Branford, pleaded guilty Wednesday to unauthorized access to a protected computer to obtain information.
The charge stemmed from the investigation into the 2014 scandal in which the private photos of Jennifer Lawrence, Kirsten Dunst, Kate Upton and others were made public.
Prosecutors say Garofano sent emails that appeared to be from Apple encouraging victims to disclose usernames and passwords. He then used the information to illegally access nearly 250 iCloud accounts.
Garofano, who remains free on $50,000 bond, faces up to five years in prison at sentencing at a date to be determined.
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (AP) Gov. Dannel P. Malloy says a secure, state facility in Middletown for delinquent young males has finally closed due to a declining rate of juvenile and young adult arrests in Connecticut, a low crime rate and new reforms and programs.
The Democrat on Thursday called the Connecticut Juvenile Training School ``an ill-advised and costly relic of the Rowland era,'' referring to former Republican Gov. John G. Rowland. Malloy says the $57 million ``prison-like facility'' for males aged 12-to-20 years made ``rehabilitation, healing and growth more challenging.''
It first opened in 2001 and had the capacity to hold more than 200 young males.
State lawmakers recently transferred care of delinquent youth from the Department of Children and Families to the judicial branch, which has juvenile detention facilities in Hartford and Bridgeport.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Some Connecticut lawmakers want a task force to review what can be done about the over-abundance of old satellite dishes littering apartment building rooftops.
Waterbury Rep. Larry Butler, a Democrat and co-chairman of the General Assembly's Housing Committee, says these dishes are ``just sitting in perpetuity on properties'' because there's nothing that requires old dishes to be removed.
Republican Rep. Anthony D'Melio of Waterbury owns a building and says he spent more than $500 to have a dish removed. He questions why satellite TV companies install new dishes and don't use existing ones or remove old dishes when a new tenant moves in.
D'Melio says one apartment building in Waterbury has eight dishes.
The task force bill cleared the House of Representatives Wednesday 83-61. It now awaits Senate action.
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) A man was fatally shot in New Haven on Wednesday during gunfire on Chapel Street.
The New Haven Register reports emergency personnel responded to a shooting shortly after noon to find 35-year-old Eric Lewis shot in the chest.
He was taken to Yale New Haven Hospital and died two hours later.
Neighbors described hearing gunshots and running indoors, then seeing Lewis on the ground unable to breathe.
Detectives from the New Haven Police Department are seeking the public's help in identifying suspects during their investigation of the shooting.
SOUTHINGTON, Conn. (AP) An event facility in Southington is saying that it will not be the site of a National Rifle Association fundraiser dinner.
The Record-Journal reports Aqua Turf Club, an NRA representative, and a former chair of the Connecticut committee of the NRA mutually agreed to move the event elsewhere following protests outside of the facility during a previous dinner on March 23.
Aqua Turf Club made the announcement on Wednesday following a request by gun control advocates last month.
Event venue spokeswoman Karen Alix called the decision, ``excruciatingly difficult,'' in light of their 25-year relationship with the NRA.
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) Actor T.J. Miller has been charged with calling 911 to falsely claim that a woman on the same train as him had a bomb in her luggage.
Federal prosecutors in Connecticut say Miller was released on $100,000 bond after an initial appearance in federal court in New Haven on Tuesday.
The former ``Silicon Valley'' actor and comedian was arrested in New York on Monday.
Prosecutors say Miller called in the false bomb information on March 18 after getting into a verbal confrontation with a woman on a train traveling from Washington D.C. to New York. The train was stopped in Westport, Connecticut, where it was searched. No explosives were found.
The public defender who represented Miller on Tuesday did not return a call for comment.
NEW LONDON, Conn. (AP) A real estate developer from Florida has been sentenced to over 7 years in prison at a federal court hearing in Connecticut.
Seventy-five-year-old John DiMenna of Vero Beach, Florida operated an extensive real estate investment scheme that defrauded investors and lenders out of millions of dollars between 2010 and 2016.
U.S. Attorney John Durham says DiMenna prepared spreadsheets that inflated projected cash flows for real estate projects, and then shared them with colleagues knowing the figures would be shown to potential investors.
DiMenna also provided his business partners with false sales contracts and lease commitments.
Victim investors lost $28 million, while lenders lost approximately $37 million. DiMenna pleaded guilty to two counts of wire fraud in September 2017, and was released on a $250,000 bond. He is ordered to report to prison in July. DiMenna's attorney could not be reached for comment.
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) A New Haven gang member has been sentenced for 12 years in federal prison for taking part in a drug and gun trafficking ring.
The U.S. attorney's office says 30-year-old Kavon Rogers is charged with racketeering and firearm offenses following an investigation by the New Haven Police Department into the narcotics, crack and arms trade by the gang between New Haven and Bangor, Maine. Rogers was trafficking crack for the Red Side Guerrilla Brims gang when he was arrested in 2014, and was found to be a felon in possession of a firearm. He pleaded guilty to both counts in 2015.
Rogers had also previously driven the getaway vehicle for the leader of the gang following the murder of Donnell Allick in 2011.
The investigation resulted in the conviction of 21 members of the gang on federal charges in Connecticut and Maine.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Victims' relatives who are seeking to hold Saudi Arabia responsible in the Sept. 11 attacks say their next step is to pressure U.S. security agencies to release withheld documents.
A federal court judge in New York last month rejected a Saudi motion to end the lawsuit.
Brett Eagleson, of Middletown, Connecticut, whose father was killed in the twin towers, said at a news conference Monday in Hartford that the plaintiffs plan a grassroots effort to compel the CIA, the FBI and others to turn over information that could shed light on Saudi complicity.
Hundreds of victims' relatives and injured survivors, along with insurance companies and businesses, sued the Saudi government, saying its employees knowingly assisted hijackers who carried out the attacks. The Saudi government has long denied any involvement.
STAFFORD, Conn. (AP) Police say a middle school janitor in Stafford threatened a school shooting in a move that prompted a district-wide lockdown.
Fifty-eight-year-old David Wachta of Monson, Massachusetts has been arrested and charged with breach of peace and first-degree threatening.
Police say school administrators learned Wachta, a janitor at Stafford Middle School, had made the threat on Friday, saying he was going to ``shoot up the school.''
The schools were on lockdown until after Wachta was arrested shortly before noon on Monday. The schools were on a soft lockdown, which means students and teachers were allowed to roam but not leave the buildings.
Wachta is being held on a bond of $100,000.